Award in Taking a Business online
This module continues to build on the fundamentals of eCommerce and provides students with an overview of the key concepts and fundamentals to take a business online. This module addresses the infrastructure required and getting started, setting the right priorities before launching an eCommerce business, selecting the right technology for the business, ongoing challenges that an eCommerce business might face, facilitating online transactions, the different online payment methods and systems, and concluding with a practical approach to eCommerce.
This module will cover the following 6 topics:.
1. Infrastructure and start-up issues
2. Setting the priorities
3. Selecting the right technology for your business
4. On-going Challenges
5. Facilitating Online Transactions
6. Practical approach to e-commerce
At the end of the module/unit the learner will have acquired the responsibility and autonomy to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts of a website and the importance of website design.
- Distinguish the key concepts of domain terminology such as; domain name system, domain names, IP address, top-level domain, hosts and sub-domain
- Understand cloud computing technology and the uses of cloud, its benefits, type of cloud services and deployments in cloud computing.
Module will consist of the following learning hours:
Contact hours: 10 hours (pre-recorded lectures – 6 hrs, online tutorials – 3 hrs and online forums – 1 hrs)
Self-study: 11 hours (research on notes – 6 hrs and assessment – 5 hrs)
Assessment: 4 hours (finalisation of assessment)
Learning Hours per module: 25 hours
Course Delivery: Part-Time
Language of Instruction: English
- Pre-recorded lecture presentations and the respective slides will be made available to students on the e-learning platform
- Discussions will be carried out via Video Conferencing and will be recorded for other students in the course to view.
- Contact hours will also include contributions in Forum discussions where the tutor will assess the students’ posts and provide his/her own feedback.
- Participating students will be presented with:
Video presentation – 6 hours of audio-visual recording/module. This will include a presenter interviewing an expert in the field of the respective module that is being covered.
Each hour will be split into 4 – 15minutes segments to allow for better access and download.
Reading Material – additional reading materials for students to read and can better understand the topic
FAQs – to assist students with basic questions that are normally asked on the topics
Glossary – to assist students in having the correct information on key subject terms
2 Online tutorial sessions per module
2 online Forum discussions per module
1 short Assignment per module
Tutorial participation 20%
Forum discussions 30%