Award in Fundamentals of Management
This module covers the key challenges of management. It starts with a focus on the core functions on management within an organisation – planning, organising, control and leadership. The module then covers the important challenges to be overcome in successful project management. This includes project planning and resource budgeting to implementation and control. The final session deals with particular management challenges within the context of an NGO organisation. Reference is made to the bespoke case study developed for this module and discussed at length during the tutorial sessions. These will focus on the manner in which best practices have developed in the management of an NGO. The case studies are based on interviews with senior executives of NGOs in Malta and Cyprus supported by relevant documentation to contextualise the case.
The 6 sessions included in the module are as follows:
- Project Management
- NGO Management Contexts
At the end of the module/unit the learner will have acquired the responsibility and autonomy to:
- Review the tasks such as planning function, planning models and planning horizons within the particular context of an NGO as highlighted in the case study analysis central to the module.
- Monitor the basic principles of control in an NGO with particular reference to the need to respect regulatory and compliance frameworks in setting a balance between the cost of control and resulting benefits of control. .
- Collaborate on the risk controlling process within the organisation.
- Ensure that the functions of organisation are managed effectively.
- Be responsible for the coordination of the operating environment.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a project.
ECTS Credits : 2
Duration : 2 Weeks
- Assignment / Case-Study – 1 (Contributes towards 50% of the module)
- Forum Discussions – 2 (Contributes towards 30% of the module)
- Tutorial Participation – 2 tutorial sessions (Contributes towards 20% of the module)
Participant needs to individually pass in every assessment activity of the modules. Pass marks (50% or above) in all modules is mandatory for the full Award in NGO Management programme.